Friday, February 8, 2008

Bedtime with Dad

Brian isn't usually home when Matthew goes to bed, so when he is home he tries to make the bedtime routine really fun. Matthew's latest favorite is flying to bed on his rocket. This consists of Brian carrying Matthew on his Radio Flyer Rocket to bed. Recently a new option was added. I call this one the Blankie-Burrito Sling. Brian wraps Matthew in his blankies and carries him to bed like a burrito sling. There is enough handle with the blankets to swing Matthew around and make him laugh hysterically. Of course, I tense up during both of these bedtime games, as they both carry the potential for banged heads, severe dizziness and at worst, broken bones resulting from falls from great heights.

Well, the other night, Matthew insisted on going to bed in the Blankie-Burrito Sling. He laid out his blankets and then sprawled out on top of them so that Brian could wrap him up. Brian did, and then proceeded to make the the Blankie-Burrito Sling adventure ride last as long as possible. First, he spun Matthew around a couple of times. Matthew giggled. Then, Brian landed the sling on the kitchen table, "Is this your bed?"

"No," answered Matthew, his giggles increasing in intensity.

Brian swung him a couple more times. Matthew by now was gasping from laughing so hard. Then they disappeared and I figured the game was over. Suddenly, I heard a queer splashing sound. My immediate thought was that Matthew had gotten a little too much spinning and thrown up. But then Brian bellowed, "Why is there water in the bathtub?"

I ran to the bathroom to see Matthew and his blankets on the floor, soaking wet. It turns out that I had neglected to drain the bathwater after giving Matthew his bath. Brian continuing the fun of the Blankie-Burrito sling had gone into the dark bathroom to put Matthew in the bathtub intending to ask, "Is this your bed?" Needless to say, they were both more than a little surprised when Matthew got dunked in cold bathwater.

In the end, all was well. Matthew's stunned look disappeared within a minute or two and the clothes dryer worked wonders on the sopping blankies. Brian was mad at me for about as long as the blankets took to dry, but he eventually saw the humor in the event.

2 comments:

Brad & Kim said...

Oh my gosh! That totally cracks me up! I can just totally see that happening. I was sitting here tonight reading over this while everyone else was watching a movie and couldn't help but laugh right out loud. Everyone thought I was nuts...but I love it!!! You guys are the best! Congrats on the little girl! We are SOOO excited for you guys!

SPECIAL K said...

Hellooo there! This is your cousin Kristy! I found your blog so I thought I would say hi! Glad I've been able to see you guys recently! Hope all is going well!