Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Waiting

It is so hard not to be anxious. I am less than a week away, and even though I vowed to not get antsy, I am. Like I said in the last post, I am trying to stay busy, so I keep inventing projects. My current goal is 30 freezer meals. I have made 10 in the last two days. It is actually not that hard. It just means making a meal, doubling or tripling the recipe and freezing it in family size portions. So far I have made Pepperoncini Beef Sandwiches and Spaghetti. Tonight I plan to make chicken enchiladas, and if I can cajole Brian into running to the store, I will also do smoothies.

Yesterday Matt and I went to Heritage Park (This Is the Place State Park) with my friend Dawn and her two girls. Dawn and I are both due next week. We had a lot of fun watching the kids stamp leather, churn butter, and play with the baby animals. We both half-hoped that the walking would put us into labor, but no luck.

Today Matt and I took the train to the SLC main library. Matt wanted books on baby chicks. They are his new obsession after holding one yesterday at Heritage Park. In his box of stuffed animals that he has never played with we found a stuffed chick and duckling. They are his current favorite toys. I told him that chicks come out of eggs and he thinks that is really funny. (He just started using the word "funny" and so a lot of things are funny to him.) But he keeps referring to the chicks and eggs idea. He also told me this morning that chicks drink milk from mommy's breasts. I therefore thought it would be a good idea to start talking about the differences between birds and mammals. We got a couple of great books at the library: one does a good job of showing the life cycle of chickens, another that is from Dr. Seuss's learning library, discusses the characteristics of birds and another (also from Dr. Seuss's learning library) discusses the characteristics of mammals.

I was just introduced to Dr. Seuss's learning library. The books are really cute, because the actually teach about a subject, but they do it while rhyming and staying in a rhythm that appeals to kids. I think I will try to get a collection going, and then supplement them with non-fiction books with real photos.

For those of you that are interested here are a couple of titles from the Dr. Seuss Learning Library:

Is a Camel a Mammal? All About Mammals by Tish Rabe







Fine Feathered Friends: All About Birds by Tish Rabe







On Beyond Bugs! All About Insects by Tish Rabe








They also have books on space, the weather and other fun topics. These will definitely be keepers.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi Emilie! This is Heather from 5th Ward days. I finally realized that you have a blog, so here I am. :)

That's great that you're training to be a doula. And your little boy sounds adorable--have fun with that mammals vs birds lesson!

I know what you mean about the waiting game at the end being like the end of the mission--best to stay busy. I'm so glad you have enough energy to stay busy. I'm only at 27 weeks (third pregnancy), and I'm soooo very tired most of the time. Anyway, I'm impressed by your frozen dinner accomplishments! :)

Feel free to stop by my blog sometime:
thecantareros.blogspot.com